Crocheted bag complete

    Finally finished with this project! It feels like it took me a while to complete, but then again I’m used to projects taking me at most a weekend (I mostly undertake small projects).

  • The pattern: Garden Bag
  • Difficulty level: Easy. Done in all single crochet. And each panel of the bag is done as an individual piece, which is later attached.
  • Duration: SO LONG D: . I think this took me two weeks, because I would have to put the project down a lot.
  • My deviations: I used three skeins of Lion Brand Pound of Love (two in baby blue, and one in cream). The bigger panels of the bag measure 60 stitches across, and the thinner panels measure 25 stitches across. I made two pockets instead of three, and I used the griddle stitch instead of single crochet. The pocket also measures 64 stitches across, and when I made the bottom of the pockets, I skipped 3 stitches on the outer side, and two stitches in the middle (for each pocket). The bottom of the pocket is also two rows long of 28 stitches. I also made the straps longer (chained 100 for each strap). 

I made this bag specifically for Blythe con, so I can easily tote my girls around. I’m not sure if I’ll be using the bag for this purpose, because it’s not quite sturdy enough. The pockets lack structure, so when I hold the bag by the straps, my girls are precariously leaning forward and stretching the pockets outward. I think I might have made the pockets too roomy, which is surprising because I intentionally tried to avoid that.

I think if I were ever to make this bag again, I would use the yarn it calls for. I calculated that if I were to buy the yarn at the store in the exact amounts, it would have cost me about $30. The 3 skeins of pound of love set me back $17. Definitely need to wait for a sale for the cotton yarn, since the pattern calls for 17 skeins. Anyway, I found that the acrylic yarn didnt behave the way that a lot of the comments on ravelry described. The tension of using two cotton yarn strands is probably a lot tighter than my two acrylic yarn strands. I also found that I had to alter the pattern a lot to achieve the bag size I wanted and to come close to the size shown in the photo on the pattern. I’m thinking this might have to do with my yarn choice as well. I think that using cotton would have made the bag look cleaner too. 

The bag looks very handmade XD … Because it is… Lol. I think this might become my yarn bag for when I decide to crochet somewhere outside of my room.

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Crocheted bag complete

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s