I am exhausted. Blythe Con Chicago was my first Blythe convention, and it was all so very exciting and exhausting. I had no idea what to expect, and I also only knew a handful of people going. I’m kind of painfully awkward in large crowds and with strangers, and I’m not so great at self-introductions. I’m actually still a little frazzled from the day – visual overload with well over one hundred dolls and so many colors. To make this easy (for me), I’m going to split the experience in sections.
The Pre-meet: I only stopped by to say hello. There was quite a turn out, and some people vending small items. From photos the pre-meet looked pretty fun (… Next time!).
- Getting there – I recommend getting to the convention early. I got to BCC 15 minutes late, and had to queue for a bit to get in. If there’s an item you really want to purchase, and there’s a limited quantity, definitely get there early. I don’t mind so much queuing, especially since I kind of expect it at any convention, but I do feel the sense that I missed out on some good items (really wanted a pair of skinny jeans from a particular table!).
- The set up – I first checked in at the welcoming desk, and received my goody bag and name tag before going into the main hall. The venue was a huge open space with two rows of vendor tables on one side and tables for the attendees on the other.
- Shopping – so much shopping! I did some damage here. I was excited to see quite a number of the sellers as I had a shopping cart on etsy filled with a few of the items they were selling. It was also really nice meeting all of the vendors (super nice, super talented).
Vendor: Our Blythes
Vendor: Forty Winks
Vendor: Chantilly Lace
Vendor: Cmon Dolly
- Panels – there were a few panels held (Kenner panel, Intro to customizing, and a few others). I didn’t attend these as I lost track of time.
All the kenners!
- Meeting and greeting and sitting – I met a ton of nice people today. In this kind of setting, it’s definitely easier to make new friends as everyone is there because they love blythes and want to hang out with fellow Blythe lovers (XD I think). I also spent a lot of time sitting at a table… Resting my feet. I’ve been doing so much walking in Chicago and making several rounds to the vendor tables for browsing and shopping that my feet were killing me.
- Taking photos – I had a serious case of visual overload. So many colors! So many dolls to look at! There were a couple of sets for photo taking, and also so many beautiful dolls set up on tables. Some con goers also did smaller meet ups to take photos of dolls from the same customizer.
Dr. Blythenstein Yarn Heads
Plushimi customs to the left
Forty Winks custom
Posing in a set.
I had a great experience at my first convention. It amazes me that it was a completely fan-run convention. It was very organized and also everyone went home with a donated door prize (it was anything from a customized doll, a doll customization voucher, doll clothes, or doll accessories).
Next year Blythe con will be held in San Francisco! I hope to be there too ^^.
Also – will post photos of my haul when I get back home!
I went to a Blythe meet today! Blythe meets are awesome and I really recommend making it out to one if there’s a group in your area. You get to see and hold dolls that you may not ordinarily get to, and you have the opportunity to meet like-minded people who love the hobby and blythe dolls as much as you do or more even.
I got to hold a Kenner today for the first time ever! I was SUPER surprised when I held the doll to my ear to hear her eye mech when I pulled her string (I literally jumped a bit and made a loud gasp). That PIP! 😦 I too want to own a Kenner now.
I also got to see and hold Mrs. Retro Mama, Regina Erwen, and Parco! I was actually pleasantly surprised by Parco and how cute she is. I’m not sure if I’m explaining this correctly, but there’s something about how no-frills Parco is in her uncustomized form that I find very enchanting. Her features are simple and clean.
All in all, I had a great time ^^. And what’s more, my Nendoroid Kuma was delivered while I was out, and waiting for me at home!