I can’t help but check the Dolly Adoption facebook group at least once a day, on the off chance that I might see a girl from my wishlist at a good price, or (such is the case here) a girl at such a low price as to be too good to pass up. I’ve been wanting to try customizing again, and I currently have a blank face plate in my closet, and a few new carving tools I purchased from Cool Cat. I saw this hot pink haired fake blythe up for adoption at a low, low price, and I jumped at the chance to buy her.
Here is how she started life (lol. Also, this is not my photo, but the photo used in the For Sale thread on FB.)
She then swiftly became the unfortunate recipient of my hair cutting skills. I really wanted this new girl to have a bob, similar to Bloomy Bloomsbury, but my hands had difficulty recreating the image I had in my head :(.
These are the tools I used to carve the face plate! I definitely recommend the angled wood carving tool and the needle files.
I even carved the philtrum this time! I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out, considering I had no idea what I was doing. I looked at my hand mirror from time to time to figure out what the philtrum should look like. For the philtrum, I used one of the thicker needle files and in small circular motions, i carved the shape i wanted the philtrum to be.
She has a set of hand painted chips from Musaenfuga, and the brown set are from Dainty Biscuit (purchased from ebay). Her pull strings are decorated with beads from an old bracelet I had back in high school and a locket I purchased years ago. The pull ring is from Twiggy Twiggy.
Her hair needs some serious help. I actually have thinned it out with some thinning shears (very arbitrarily I might add), and her hair is currently in curlers. If I can’t get it to look better, I might just buy a new scalp (in mint!).
The whole customizing experience I had with this girl was pretty good! I did have some trouble with one of the screws inside her head, and also putting her eye mech together after disassembling it, but other than that, it was pretty smooth sailing! I felt less nervous about opening the doll’s head up, and taking her apart. I found that disassembling this new girl was a LOT easier than both Finley and Rosaline. I think, in part it’s because I knew what to expect, and in some ways, this new girl’s pieces had more give to them (there seemed to be more space between the eye mech and her face plate, and also her eye mech pieces didn’t seem so impossibly wedged together). I want to say that this new girl is the TBL to Rosaline’s TBL+.
I don’t have a name for this girl yet, but she does seem to be developing a personality. Unlike my other girls, who really like froofy stuff, I think her style gears more toward trendy/darker colors. ^^ I think my favorite part about her is that mole I gave her. And to continue the tradition, this girl has a Plastic Fashion dress coming her way in the mail right now. Hopefully by the time it comes, I”ll have a name for her and her hair sorted out.
Laundry list of things I’ve done to her – Sanded face and eye lids, carved mouth, carved nostrils, carved philtrum, lid decoration with chalk pastels and watercolor pencils, winged liner using acrylic paint, new lashes, blush using chalk pastels, mole drawn using watercolor pencils, (AMATEUR) hair cut, sleep eyes, boggled eyes, gaze lift, and decorated pull strings.