It’s Rory! I spent all day redoing her face-up. I didn’t do much carving, though I did deepen her nostrils a bit. I’ve forgotten how much work actually goes into customizing a blythe doll, and I think I might have spent five hours giving her a makeover. Here’s a list of what I did to her:
- New lid art – Her lids used to be a kelly green with a grey scallop edge design. Now they’re a light pink with a white line design. Also, the lids were done with acrylic paint instead of pastels and watercolor pencils, and they’re glossy instead of matte.
- Rosier lips and cheeks
- Pink and yellow eye shadow
- Slightly more defined nostrils
- Smaller winged liner
It’s not much, but I think she looks better! Her old makeup was being super washed out with her new dark brown hair.
As per usual, there were some snags during the process. Rory’s eye mech snapped on the lower lid area, which I promptly glued back together. It’s holding in there, but probably one day I’ll order a new eye mech. The eye mech also sticks after her brown side-facing chips… and because of my impatience, I also kind of scratched the lid art on her left eye (woops!). These things don’t bother me terribly, because Rory’s lid art had some blemishes on them before, and I don’t change my girls’ eyes a ton.
Rory is also looking pretty darn fashionable. I put her in a top I knitted, a Kuloft skirt, MiniJijo socks, and some stock shoes.
She really feels like a completely different doll! It’s a little weird, as I’m really not used to seeing her on my shelf the way she looks. She’s definitely way easier to dress with her dark brown hair, as opposed to her bright orangey-pink hair. I wonder how this new look will change my perception of how she should be dressed and photographed.